Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pet Spotlight: Rancid


Rancid has the honour of being the very first pet I rushed out to tame when Wrath of the Lich King was released.

Exotic pets were so exciting, and when I first glimpsed the Jormungar model on Petopia my jaw dropped. They were just amazing looking creatures, and I knew I had to have one.

I found out that I could get one right away, there were level 70 Tundra Crawlers in Borean Tundra. I'll never forget the hilarious adventure I had trying to tame one.

Though I had been in the WotLK beta, I hadn't explored too much of Northrend since I wanted to save it all for live release. I hadn't stepped foot in Borean Tundra at all, so it was completely unknown territory to me. I hopped on the zeppelin that would take me to Warsong Hold, arriving in the intimidatingly huge fortress. Leaving was not as simple as walking out the door, I found out, when I was immediately attacked by hordes of Nerubians. I mounted up and and ran for it, getting lost in the quarry surrounding the Hold, and somehow eventually making it out onto the plains. There I had to run past more angry mobs, aggroing things left right and center. I barely knew where I was going, armed with only the vague knowledge of the worms being in the northeast. I just kept running, hoping I was going in the right direction, losing the road constantly and fleeing from kobolds, rhinos, and all sorts of terrifying native inhabitants.

FINALLY I made it to the northern point of the zone. I felt like I was in the right place. Suddenly, a Scourged Mammoth sees me and starts attacking, and that's when I notice right behind it is a Jormungar. That was him! I run from the plagued pachyderm, target the worm, and mash my tame button. Somehow I managed to tame him, and right away he rushed to my defense and downed the mammoth.

I was almost shaking at the time, it was such an adrenaline rush. I hearthed immediately back to the safety of Orgrimmar where I was able to get a good look at my new companion. Seeing his spikes and mohawk I was inspired to give him a punk name, and Rancid was born.


He was my levelling buddy through Northrend, being an awesome tank, and I was completely in love with him. Though my initial thoughts were that he would have a tough, badass sort of personality, there was this adorable charm that slowly revealed itself and his character emerged to be completely different than what I had intended.


Rancid had to take a couple little vacations during times when stable space was short, but I always ended up getting him back. I missed him too much when he was gone.

A big facet of his personality became apparent through PetEmote. He always seemed to stare up at the sky, and he came across as a daydreamer. Inquisitive, cheerful, longing for the skies. This was reinforced when he made the strangest bond with Kalli's blue parrot on her troll hunter. Papillotte (now Evangeline) seemed to have instant chemistry with the Jormungar. Their tender emotes were too adorable for words, and then she began dropping feathers on the ground for him. Clearly they were a token of affection, and I also mused that Rancid would collect them in order to build himself a pair of wings someday. He seemed to long for the ability of flight, not liking being stuck on the ground. I can just see him dreaming of soaring through the clouds, happy as can be.


In Cataclysm Rancid had a bit of a makeover when new Jormungar colours were released. I loved the black one, and the colours just seemed to suit him perfectly. On the eve of the patch, I dropped him off in front of the cavern where his new colour would appear. He would be molting, and I imagined the giant Jormungar cave to be a natural location where they would all go to do such.

The next day I went to pick him up, eager to see his new appearance.


He was there waiting for me, and I never had any problems associating the new colour with my old Rancid. He was still the same goofy, lovable worm. It was him through and through, and he seemed to enjoy his new look!




No comments:

Post a Comment