A perplexing thing occurred last night.
It all started in Azshara, where two guildies (Aro and Kalli) were hanging out waiting for The Evalcharr to spawn. I joined the camping party enthusiastically, and for the next 6 hours or so we went through the usual silly escapades...dancing, joking, laughing at our pet emotes, killing nearby mobs. The typical Petopian camp. xD (sanity not included)
We fell into a routine of killing any mob that was within our viewing range, usually sending a pet around to clear them off. The native wildlife were stags, hippogryphs, chimaeras, and a rock giant every now and then. Our camping spot was on a little rocky cliff overlooking The Evalcharr's spawn area, and to the right of us was a taller cliff which always had a mob spawned on top. It was a stag most of the time, though occasionally it would spawn as a hippogryph instead. Then it surprised us by becoming a chimaera at one respawn. It was the first we'd seen for that exact spawn point, and we thought it could be a sign, so we threw a star raid icon on the beast and refrained from killing it.
Now, I've never been too fond of the original chimaera models. I have a slight OCD about symmetry, and they have so many opposing details on each side that it's always bothered me. Despite all that, however, I found myself surprisingly drawn to the new beige model that was being implemented in patch 4.0.6. The colours were so eye-catching and complementary that I couldn't help admiring it, even if I didn't want it as a pet
With that interest lurking in the back of my mind, I seemed to be bringing about the inevitable. I stared at our cliff dwelling friend, painfully aware that by singling him out and giving him a unique presence I'd already begun falling for him.
The hours went by, Aro eventually went to sleep, and I went to take care of some other things at some point. Kalli remained in Azshara, and later on I rejoined her. The chimaera was still there on the cliff, and still had his star. That's when I made the decision.
Without pausing to over-think the situation or allow myself to second guess things, I released Mentos the blue demon hound and tamed the freaking chimaera. Mentos had not yet developed a personality or a strong bond really, so I was able to let him go easily with the thought of retaming him after I satisfied my urge to give the chimaera a test run.
The perfect name jumped into my head as I stood there staring at my new pet. With two heads this creature was bound to argue with itself, so he was then known as Banter.
So here I am with a pet I never planned on taming, a model I've never liked, and a colour scheme that is not usually to my tastes.
What have I got myself into... >_>






Beware the lurking Salami, for he is devious!
ReplyDeleteI felt the pull of that particular chimaera too, even as I talked about taming a respawn in the same spot for Sandwiches. It wouldn't be the same one who'd had the star on his head. And yet, I could tell he wasn't calling me....;)
I was in a bit of a sleepy haze by the time this all ended up coming together. I was vaguely aware of Mentos being there....and then I saw you standing off by the chimaera on the rock.....and suddenly, you moved and he moved with you! It was like magic (never mind my complete awareness that I had merely missed seeing the tame). There was a certain "rightness" about seeing you two together, and the name certainly suited him! I do apologize for Salami being an influence on Banter, though - paranoid pets, oh my! xD
Banter reminds me very much of Azzy, at least in the similarity of their taming histories. One of those "happy exceptions," it seems. :)